started as Wheal Rock in 1750, renamed United Hills 1809, then Tywarnhayle ('House on the Estuary'). London's Royal School of Mines (RSM) training mine since 1907, specialising in surveying & timber preservation.
SW 6975 4726 Tywarnhale copper mine; Taylor's 58" pump. Small
building with detached stack said to have had last wooden beam
engine built in Cornwall. Plug doorway also cylinder door, as engine house cut into hillside & no access behind. Bob wall sides extend to roof level, which may have stabilised wing walls. Pumped James' shaft by 350m of flat rods. Shaft later had Cornwall's first
submersible electric pump. Building below now used by RSM
housed gas engine powered generator. Near it is short padlocked shaft for student access to main drainage adit. ]
SW 6999 4722 Tywarnhale copper mine; John's 70" pumping engine
house 1861. 12' piston stroke unusually long. Engine moved to
Wheal Uny in 1864. Cylinder door arch & spring beam pockets
brick-lined. Bob wall sole plate timber in place. Large balance-bob
pit walled. Bank with retaining wall possibly for tipping ore down
SW 7019 4730 Tywarnhale copper mine; James' shaft: 'Crib hut' &
150m deep shaft used by RSM students, so shaft-top boarded.
Concrete foundation of electric winder moved & tilted. White-
painted trig point for survey training. Shaft had been pumped by
flat rods from Taylor's shaft 350m away. Cutting leading from day level once had tramway to incline.
SW 7031 4730 Tywarnhale copper mine; Railway shaft: padlocked
wooden boarding protects top of inclined? shaft.
SW 7033 4728 Tywarnhale copper mine; stack of crusher had brick
section removed for safety of houses below. Can now look down on top of chimney from hillside.
SW 7015 4709 Tywarnhale copper mine; Elmore vacuum flotation
plant building remains - world first commercial froth flotation plant, used when re-working dumps for copper in 1906. Concrete walls, loadings, tank & short stack stump.