In September 1901, copper was discovered by John Munro in an area at the northern perimeter of the Chillagoe mineral district, part of the Walsh and Tinaroo Mineral Field. He named the site OK, reputedly after an empty OK jam tin. On 11 November 1902 Munro applied for a Prospecting Area of 400 square yards on a hill where copper carbonates were showing profusely and where he assayed copper at 34%. The OK Copper Mines Development Syndicate NL was formed, consisting of members John Munro and several others, including an engineer, several store keepers and a railway company. The syndicate developed the mine and constructed and operated the OK smelters, and it was the first copper company in North Queensland to declare a dividend.
With acknowledgment to: