Mount Elliott discovered in 1899. Mined via open pit, then underground 1901 to 1920. Ore initially transported via camel to Richmond, then smelted on site
after 1909. Mount Elliott closed in 1920 due to low copper prices, labour unrest and lack of high grade ore. SWAN orebody discovered by Union Miniere in 1972. Mount Elliott reopened in 1993 by Arimco. Selwyn Mines purchased the property in 1999. Selwyn Mines folded, 2003.
Acquired by Ivanhoe Ltd. The
Mount Elliott mining Complex, south of Cloncurry, was entered in the Queensland Heritage Register as an archaeological place. It was one of the major copper smelting sites
in north Queensland during the early 20th century but has been abandoned for many years. The site includes remnants of the Mount
Elliott mine, the smelter, a range of
associated infrastructure, scattered archaeological artefacts, the abandoned town of Selwyn and its associated cemetery. At its peak in 1918, some 1500 people lived in
the township of Selwyn.
[url]http://www.aig.org.au/attachments/Mat%20Brown%20Case%20History%20Mt%20Elliott.pdf[/url] and [url]http://www.qldheritage.org.au/assets/files/time-and-place/time-and-place-26.pdf[/url]