The most remote and northern most blowing house at Merrivale; adjacent to the river Walkham and in the shadows of Roos Tor and Great Mis Tor.
This is arguably the most interesting of the Merrivale sites and an excellent reward for the lengthy trek. The site stands on the West bank of the river; on a gentle eastward bend. Some ancient beam (beme) works appear to exist slightly northward; and traces of a higher leat on the bank above the shallow river valley. Two waterwheel pits; both overshot and roughly 4x1m maintain excellent remains; these serving the upper blowing house and lower stamps. The usual remains of a single mould stone adjacent the doorway are present at the blowing house; however the low, drystone walls are in unusually excellent condition. The tail race from the wheel appears to flow to the site of the stamps where it might've ran over wooden buddles to aid in the dressing process.
The stamps appear to be contemporary with the blowing house in origin and powered by their own overshot wheel of similar size but broader breast. The remains of dozens of granite mortar stones are discarded in a waste pile, together with a broken mould stone. Presumably these items were seen as disposible commodities.
Data courtesy of Ben Sum, Helston (8/6/20)
The Devon Tin Industry 1450-1750 - T Greeves, 1981, p358