Opened in 1906 by James Pain Ltd, Stanton Ironworks Co Ltd from 1st Jan 1928, Stewarts and LLoyds Minerals Ltd from 1st Jan 1950, BSC Tubes Division minerals from 29th March 1970 until closure on 31st December 1971.
From 1972 the engine Sheds at the heart of the quarry system became part of a preservation scheme and were bought by Flying Scotsman Enterprises eventually housing both Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle no less!!!
A new 4 road shed was added in August 1973 of the pioneering 'Atcost' type structure. By the end of 1973, 11 locomotives were on site along with much stock.
However when BR decided to close the connecting route to the area there was no choice but to move off site, this was around December 1974. Parts of the system lingered on but were completely closed by 1977/8.
The remains of the schemes and items of stock were to become the foundation of the Rutland Rly museum, they found a new home at Cottesmore on the end of the MR branch there.