Description below by ICLOK.
With acknowledgment to: K.Brown/B.Acton, B.Atkinson,
This Lead/Silver mine worked from 1824 to 1890 producing 79T lead ore, 3.5T of silver ore - 2,530oz silver, 10T manganses & 25T zinc.
There are some interesting engine houses, the first at the road junction at Mount Lodge is now in use as a house. It housed an 80inch pumping engine built circa 1835-6. The engine was identical to Austins Engine at Fowey Consols. Another unusual feature of this engine house was an incline entrance to the shaft from within the engine house under the bob wall, this feature is now lost during conversion and the shaft capped. Opposite are the converted building of the mines original silver smelter though much modified.
Further West along the lane are two more engine houses. The pumping engine house is directly by the lane with a whim to the rear of it. The pumping engine house contained initially a 64 inch engine (probably from Tavistock Foundry) and later a 60 inch engine. The whim house initially housed a 12.5 inch engine later replaced by a 24 inch engine. The absence of a Bob wall points to both whim engines being fully enclosed, a drive axle coming out the wall to the drum, the drum loadings for which still exist.