Gooninnis or Gooninis mine, sunk as a trial starting in 1873 with aim of reaching the rich West Kitty lode.
In 1899 a 12" horizontal winding engine by Holman Bros. of
Camborne was installed. This marked the start of the most active
period at the mine. The short surviving chimney stack was for the
whim engine boiler. By 1901 the large Cornish engine house (still
standing today, with an adjoining stack) had been built and the 50"
beam pumping engine was moved from Trevaunance mine to here.
The shaft was sunk to 132m below adit without hitting the lode.
Mine abandoned 1903. In 1910 the bob was removed to Castle-an-Dinas near St. Columb Major and the pumping engine moved to
Goonvean China clay works, near St. Austell, where a new bob was
added. (The engine is still there, derelict in a roofless engine
house.) The engine house chimney was struck by lightning in the
winter of 1992-3. Note: The buildings are on private property
and part of a working farm.