Originally sunk by The Consett Iron Company in 1847. By 1873 The Company owned 10 Mines, spreading from Ebchester to Langley Park. This figure would grow until Nationalisation. This Mine would close in 1913, However in 1921 The reopened with a new shaft named Victory Pit which the mine appears to now be known as.
After Nationalisation, The mine lasted until 1963, when the abandoned site was used for a number of different uses including a scrap yard . The distinctive stone built buildings close to the road complete with large arch shows on 1939 map, This outlasted the mine but was demolished in 2018. Due to Local campaigns The arch was rebuilt and a Lidl Super store now occupies the site.