The Cromford Canal Is joined by High Peak Railway at High Peak Junction were stone from Middleton quarry and beyond was transhipped
Description by LeeW
The Cromford Canal
Completed in 1794; the canal was constructed by William Jessop & Benjamin Outram (partners in the Butterley Company). The main canal runs approx 14.5 miles (23km) from the wharf at Cromford to the Erewash Canal at Langley Mill. Later additions to the canal include the Leawood Arm built in 1802 by Peter Nightingdale to service his mills and leadworks; the Pinxton arm which runs for approx 3 miles from Pinxton Wharf - original end of the Mansfield & Pinxton Railway and opened in 1819; and an attempt to join the canal to the Manchester side of the Peak District by the High Peak Railway (constructed 1824 - 1830). The canal along with numerous tramways and wharfs allowed this part of the coalfield to develop during the early 1800's.
The route of the canal includes a number of listed and heritage status features including
Cromford Canal Wharf Warehouse (Listed Grade II): Built by Nathaniel Wheatcroft in 1794; in 1814 a 'lean-to' shed was added
The Wigwell Aqueduct (Scheduled Ancient Monument): The aqueduct built in 1790s crosses over the river Derwent, it is 183m long and 9m high with three arches
Gregory Tunnel (Short tunnel; unlisted): Built c1792 and is approx 73m in length
Counting House (Listed Grade II): Built 1794 and part late 1800's. Limited space and it's proximity to a culvert give it an unusual shape
Cromford Canal Wharf Cottages (Listed Grade II): Two cottages built for the Cromford Canal Company in 1796 and later extended
Warehouse (Listed Grade II): Built c1824 next to and over the feeder arm of the canal and shortly after this feeder was built. The warehouse was equipped with a crane and an overhang above the canal.
Accommodation Bridge (Unlisted): Built c1792 is similiar to others along the canal but has a notable feature of wear in the stonework caused by the tow ropes
High Peak Junction (Small museum): Railway opened in 1830 and includes a number of inclines along route. At the High Peak Junction are the buildings of the workshop, other nearby features include escape branch (with crashed waggon)
Lengthman's Cottage (Listed Grade II): Built c1830 at the junction of the Leawood Branch with the canal; there is a small ruined building adjacent alongside the Leawood Arm
Canal Warehouse (Unlisted): The was built in 1850 to replace an earlier building and is situated between the canal and the railway, these is an adjacent building c1850 which were used has the railway offices.
Leawood Pumphouse (Listed Grade II & Scheduled Ancient Monument): Built in 1849 to house a steam pumping engine. A Boulton & Watt single action beam engine is housed at the site and is occasionally run from time to time
Canal Aqueduct over the Railway (Scheduled Ancient Monument): Built c1850 carrying the canal over the railway
Butterley Tunnel: Built in 1792 by the Butterley Company with an original length of nearly 3000 yards and at the time was the Worlds' third longest. Approximately 880yards from the western portal is an underground wharf which linked to the Butterley Pits and Works. Since it construction it has twice been extended; the first time by the construction o fthe Midland Railway over the the western portal and then by the builing of the A38 over the same area, thus it's total length is now 3063 yards.