Cobbs engine house, was officially know as Windmill End Colliery No 3 Pit, latterly Pumping station, and used to remove water from the local deep mines, It contained a James Watt beam engine capable of pumping in the region of 367,000 gallons of water per day into the canal at Netherton near the famous Canal tunnel. The shaft itself was 525 feet deep.
The mine pumping engine house was erected by Sir Horace St Paul circa 1831, later owned by Staffordshire Mines Drainage Commission. It was named after Farmer Cobb who owned land in the area before the engine house was built. It originally contained a single-acting condensing engine. The engine house is of brick construction and of three storeys, with a cylinder floor at ground level, chamber floor above, and a bob or beam loft. The south gable wall is thicker than the others and has a plug rod portal on the ground floor, with a flat head, and a bob portal under the apex with round arch. The east and west walls both have a ground floor window with segmental head. The north gable wall has a cylinder portal on the ground floor, an opening to the middle storey with round head, and two smaller openings above. The floor has been concreted over but some of the cylinder mounting bolts are still showing.
The boiler chimney tapers from 11’ 6’ square at the base to 4 feet at the top and is 95 feet high.
The engine house is the earliest surviving example of its type and one of the few engine houses left in the Black Country. It is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
A winding engine of a Newcomen type was also in use here but was removed from the site in 1928 and transferred to the Henry Ford Museum, Michegan, USA.