Opened in 1889 in cooperation with the Rhondda, Ogmore, Llynfi valley colliery owners after Cardiff Bute Docks increased its rate by 1d per ton, this resulted in it being known as 'the dock built for a penny'.
It was a major success shipping 3,000,000Tons in its first year.
It had a rail sytem connecting to Bridgend, to Rhondda and the Rhymney Valley. It broke the record for local coal exports with 11,000,000T leaving in 1911!
Much remains inc a sliding bridge, hydraulic pump house, dry docks and stone plinths from the dockside coal hoists.