Mine exploration, photographs and mining history for mine explorers, industrial archaeologists, researchers and historians Mine explorer and mining history videos on YouTube Connect with other mine explorers on Facebook
Tip: do not include 'mine' or 'quarry', search by name e.g. 'cwmorthin', use 'Sounds like search' if unsure of spelling

Advanced Search
'Sounds like search'
Quick a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'

Search for any word
Search for all words
Exact search
Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'

Search for any word
Search for all words
Exact search

Mine Exploration Forum

Jump to page << < 1 2 3 > >>
Author Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Knocker

Joined: 17/06/2008

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 07:26:18
Reply |  Quote
Listening to the news and looking on the Internet, Cornwall could be set to see a return to large scale mining right across the county, with the following stories: -

1. A company by the name of Trelever minerals has just started exploratory drilling for tin in the St Columb area.
2. An Aussie company by the name of New Age Exploration is about to start drilling at Redmoor near Callington.
3. South Crofty have announced yet more drilling results to the market and are about to start dewatering.
4. Another company Marine Minerals Ltd is applying for environmental permitting to extract the tin on the sea bed between St Ives and St Agnes.

The tin supply issues are getting more critical by the year, with industry analysts extremely bullish on price estimates - the largest I've seen to date is an expectation for tin to hit $100,000 per tonne - I think most people would agree that at that price they'll be diiging up most of the Duchy!
IP: 90.219.230.104
scooptram

Joined: 22/05/2007

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 07:46:05
Reply |  Quote
and a knock on will be all the second home owners wont want to have a house near a mine so they will sell house prices will go down and locals will be able to afford to buy a house (well no harm in dreaming)

--

playing with tin stream works
IP: 86.178.21.4
carnkie

Avatar of carnkie

Joined: 07/09/2007
Location: camborne, cornwall

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 08:30:59
Reply |  Quote
The latest I've seen.



Reuters poll picks out tin

Thursday, 24 January 2013

The latest six-monthly survey of metals analysts published this week by Reuters identifies tin as the LME metal most likely to have a higher annual average price in 2013 and 2014 compared to last year. The "consensus" view is that all six LME metals will show some gains relative to the 2012 averages, ranging from 2% for copper to 13% for tin. Most metals, with the notable exception of copper, are then expected to show further small gains in 2014. However it should be noted that the price rises forecast for tin over the next two years have already happened over the last two months!

The mean (average) of 21 analysts' forecasts of the average 2013 LME tin price was $23,422/tonne, while the median (middle of the range) forecast was $23,800/tonne. For 2014 the mean and median values from 16 forecasts were $24,421/tonne and $24,956/tonne respectively.

Reuters columnist Andy Home commented on the results of the survey for the different metals: "Tin is the favourite, an obvious choice given the soldering and plating metal's still-strong bull narrative of stretched supply. Eight analysts offered a supply-demand balance forecast for tin and not one of them is expecting anything other than deficit for either this year or next. The median forecast is for the tin price to average $23,800 per tonne this year and almost $25,000 per tonne in 2014. There are bears out there, such as UBS, which came in with the lowest 2013 price forecast of $18,630 per tonne, but they are very much the exception. Standard Bank is marginally ahead of the bull pack with a call for $25,000 this year."

[web link]

--

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.
IP: 78.149.34.177
tomh

Joined: 16/07/2009
Location: st austell

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 08:56:42
Reply |  Quote
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/london-miners-the-golddiggers-of-mayfair-8306257.html IP: 213.123.188.1
lozz

Joined: 03/08/2012
Location: Cornwall

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 09:30:56
Reply |  Quote
Mining in Cornwall has wittnessed many a false dawn so who can say, I hope that something comes of something for the county. As to second home owners, well I used to be one, as a retired carpenter I would be in the poor house if it wasn't for the work provided by them.
The probem is that a lot of folks seem to think that home ownership is a god given right, it woud be nice if it was but it isn't and never will be, to buy a house needs a real sacrifice and effort, if there is no money around then you have to go and find it, a lot of folks don't want to do that. To make the roof over yer head availabity worse they hived off most of the social housing.
I worked in Geurnesy once, a shrine to cash and capitalism but interestingly they did not flog off their social housing stock at that time.
Cornwall is a popular place for retirement etc so house prices go up, second home owners are always the scape goat because they are an easy target, who sold them the houses in the first place and stuffed the money in their pockets.

Lozz.
IP: 86.129.227.60
spitfire

Avatar of spitfire

Joined: 22/04/2008
Location: Camborne

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 09:53:54
Reply |  Quote
lozz
Cornwall is a popular place for retirement etc so house prices go up, second home owners are always the scape goat because they are an easy target, who sold them the houses in the first place and stuffed the money in their pockets.

Lozz.

It's not quite so black and white as that. e.g.: The parents die and leave the house to their children, we will say three. So for one of the three to retain the house he/she has to buy the other two's share. With the price of housing down here as it is, that is almost impossible so the sale of the house is almost forced

--

spitfire
IP: 86.175.127.199 Edited: 06/02/2013 11:10:02 by spitfire
lozz

Joined: 03/08/2012
Location: Cornwall

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 11:09:37
Reply |  Quote
spitfire wrote:

lozz
Cornwall is a popular place for retirement etc so house prices go up, second home owners are always the scape goat because they are an easy target, who sold them the houses in the first place and stuffed the money in their pockets.

Lozz.

It's not quite as black and white as that. e.g.: The parents die and leave the house to their children, we will say three. So for one of the three to retain the house he/she has to buy the other two's share. With the price of housing down here as it is, that is almost impossible so the sale of the house is almost forced


Yeah, that's families..I am not putting down the housing situation, it's just the way the world is, at the end of the day money talks. I am not a native of Cornwall, however I have lived down here for more than 40 years and dug tin for Cornwall in my younger days and grafted with my hands all my life, why did I end up here? Well where I was from the house ownership was vaguely attainable until they stuffed the M6 up through, that brought the money in and the houses became out of reach so I moved down here where it was cheaper back then, however as with all things time marches on and the price goes up. Better wages by whatever means would be a good start.

Lozz.
IP: 86.129.227.60
stuey

Avatar of stuey

Joined: 15/08/2007

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 11:19:26
Reply |  Quote
Interesting stuff.

I am confident we will see a lot more mines open in Cornwall. This is fantastic.

I am very much of the mindset that the scale needs to be smaller, probably focussed on smaller workings with a central mill (crofty's mill anyone?). Until economics dictate this being a viable path (and perhaps adjusting the rules to suit) I don't think we'll see a deviation from what I see as the status quo, which is people thinking very big. Either opencast (cligga/bunny) or big mines (crofty).

It is fascinating and I firmly believe that there will be growth in exploration and people looking through graphs, plans and the mining journal/magazines looking to see novel places to stick their drills. We'll also have some potential other "big thinking" projects for instance what may lie offshore from Hermon, Cligga, Edward, etc.

I think it's pretty much assured that the BRICS will see the demand for buried stuff staying high. This coupled with a dying pound will assure that mining has a golden future here.
Thumbs Up
IP: 92.41.225.254
lozz

Joined: 03/08/2012
Location: Cornwall

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 11:59:59
Reply |  Quote
stuey wrote:

Interesting stuff.

I am confident we will see a lot more mines open in Cornwall. This is fantastic.

I am very much of the mindset that the scale needs to be smaller, probably focussed on smaller workings with a central mill (crofty's mill anyone?). Until economics dictate this being a viable path (and perhaps adjusting the rules to suit) I don't think we'll see a deviation from what I see as the status quo, which is people thinking very big. Either opencast (cligga/bunny) or big mines (crofty).

It is fascinating and I firmly believe that there will be growth in exploration and people looking through graphs, plans and the mining journal/magazines looking to see novel places to stick their drills. We'll also have some potential other "big thinking" projects for instance what may lie offshore from Hermon, Cligga, Edward, etc.

I think it's pretty much assured that the BRICS will see the demand for buried stuff staying high. This coupled with a dying pound will assure that mining has a golden future here.
Thumbs Up


Hi Stuey, I hope so too, my false dawn scenario is a maybe, you know what the mining game is like.
Anyone remember Patton Recognition? and their big plans for the airfield near Cligga or the big plan for an airport at Wheal Busy I think it was? The problem with all this is the long term metal prices and known resources, it's a long time from starting a mine to getting the profitable cash, meanwhile some other discovery in a third world country where they can extract it for an ice cream a day, let's hope not but these things can happen then it's game over 'till the next time.

Lozz.
IP: 86.129.227.60
stuey

Avatar of stuey

Joined: 15/08/2007

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 12:40:39
Reply |  Quote
I'll put my hand up straight away and say that apart from being moderately well read, I have no authority to comment, it is merely my opinion.

I gather that a lot of the myths of what-is-under-what were dispelled in the 60's. I remember various discussions on paper relating to what was under North Downs/Wheal Busy. I think both died in depth. West Peevor was a different matter though. They quit the prospect, just as they had achieved their goal which defeated them.

I wonder who holds all of this information. It must inform general geological knowledge to a considerable degree. (The stuff of no commercial value). What is also interesting is the seeming lack of 20th cent plans for many operations. The 1820-1900 seems pretty good but after that, there appears to be very little.

It's not on the CCC website anymore, but they had a list of critical shafts with 2 types. Super important ones and less than important ones. If I recall correctly, some of these choices were bizarre, for instance Harvey's shaft at Tresavean. 395F deep (800m odd) and nothing down there good water mine though!!! I imagine the other strategic shafts also have not been built around. It's the ones which are strategic but not on the list which are a concern.

Looking at Kelly Bray, I gather there is a major structure under there and the whole of Kelly Bray mine has been obliterated by a lego-estate. It certainly made me wonder how this would impact the structure and physical operation. Considering the report of the Zn-Cu left under Perranporth, it makes you wonder how much that has been sterilised.

One of the key problems that I can see is that it appears that many council, environmental and NIMBY types cannot see how the economy works and how this stuff and operations are essential for our wellbeing. I fully expect to see the media full of yoghurt weavers and NIMBY's bleating about someone digging a hole in their area.

"Well, you're in Cornwall, init?!?!"
IP: 188.28.58.194
lozz

Joined: 03/08/2012
Location: Cornwall

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 13:42:33
Reply |  Quote
The question of mineral rights has always got me wondering as to how you would go about finding out who owns what, on all the properties I have lived in down here it always says on the deeds that the mineral rights are excepted or reserved but to whom, it never seems to say, how do these exploration outfits find out? Do they need the mineral rights owners permission to sample drill or just the land owners permission?

Anyone know?

Lozz.
IP: 86.129.227.60
stuey

Avatar of stuey

Joined: 15/08/2007

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 14:44:14
Reply |  Quote
You turn up with a load of blokes and if that doesn't work, whack a headgear up and someone comes out of the woodwork with an ancient deed and gets very excited....I imagine. IP: 94.196.44.81
lozz

Joined: 03/08/2012
Location: Cornwall

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 15:41:15
Reply |  Quote
stuey wrote:

You turn up with a load of blokes and if that doesn't work, whack a headgear up and someone comes out of the woodwork with an ancient deed and gets very excited....I imagine.


Yep, for sure..The Lorrenzo & Stuey Mining Corp...I'll get the landrover sign written up, if no better claiments turn up then I guess it's all ours, silver and gold excepted.

Lozz.
IP: 86.129.227.60
tomh

Joined: 16/07/2009
Location: st austell

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 16:36:23
Reply |  Quote
I have deeds showing who the mineral lord is for some of my land.

A lot of it is owned by the duchy or the local mineral lords
IP: 213.123.188.1
lozz

Joined: 03/08/2012
Location: Cornwall

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 16:51:27
Reply |  Quote
tomh wrote:

I have deeds showing who the mineral lord is for some of my land.

A lot of it is owned by the duchy or the local mineral lords


Hi Tom, on mine it doesn't say for the house or the other land only so far as that they are reserved, I'm guessing ECLP/Imerys for the land but woudn't have a clue for the house but one guess would be the decendants of who ever owned them when Treffry was mining our area.

Bumped into Y & L the other day, nice to see them again.

Lozz.
IP: 86.129.227.60
tomh

Joined: 16/07/2009
Location: st austell

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 16:53:27
Reply |  Quote
Do you remember recently a lot of cornish residents were up in arms because the duchy renewed their mineral rights?

I have a copy of Rashleighs rights for some of our land somewhere, will see if I can dig them out sometime.
IP: 213.123.188.1
lozz

Joined: 03/08/2012
Location: Cornwall

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 17:06:44
Reply |  Quote
tomh wrote:

Do you remember recently a lot of cornish residents were up in arms because the duchy renewed their mineral rights?

I have a copy of Rashleighs rights for some of our land somewhere, will see if I can dig them out sometime.


Yes I remeber that on the news, It might have been connected to other rights such as manorial etc as the Land Registry issued some dictate to the effect that if not registered then they could lose out on other historical rights as well or something like that.

Lozz.
IP: 86.129.227.60
Knocker

Joined: 17/06/2008

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 19:39:31
Reply |  Quote
lozz wrote:

stuey wrote:

Interesting stuff.

I am confident we will see a lot more mines open in Cornwall. This is fantastic.

I am very much of the mindset that the scale needs to be smaller, probably focussed on smaller workings with a central mill (crofty's mill anyone?). Until economics dictate this being a viable path (and perhaps adjusting the rules to suit) I don't think we'll see a deviation from what I see as the status quo, which is people thinking very big. Either opencast (cligga/bunny) or big mines (crofty).

It is fascinating and I firmly believe that there will be growth in exploration and people looking through graphs, plans and the mining journal/magazines looking to see novel places to stick their drills. We'll also have some potential other "big thinking" projects for instance what may lie offshore from Hermon, Cligga, Edward, etc.

I think it's pretty much assured that the BRICS will see the demand for buried stuff staying high. This coupled with a dying pound will assure that mining has a golden future here.
Thumbs Up


Hi Stuey, I hope so too, my false dawn scenario is a maybe, you know what the mining game is like.
Anyone remember Patton Recognition? and their big plans for the airfield near Cligga or the big plan for an airport at Wheal Busy I think it was? The problem with all this is the long term metal prices and known resources, it's a long time from starting a mine to getting the profitable cash, meanwhile some other discovery in a third world country where they can extract it for an ice cream a day, let's hope not but these things can happen then it's game over 'till the next time.

Lozz.


I don't know if you've noticed that the airfield is currently on the market.
IP: 90.219.230.104
lozz

Joined: 03/08/2012
Location: Cornwall

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 20:06:52
Reply |  Quote
Hi Knocker, yes I have seen references to it on the web but not looked at the sales details, out of my reach I suspect.
I am still trying to find out about a proposal around there back then around the late 70's early 80's maybe it was for a munnitions firm, American I think and they were planning a fullscale runway there to fly stuff in and out.

Lozz.
IP: 86.129.227.60
Tamarmole

Joined: 20/05/2009
Location: Tamar Valley

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Is large scale tin mining on the verge of a return in Cornwall?
Posted: 06/02/2013 22:24:54
Reply |  Quote
I think, in terms of perception at least, what happens at Crofty in the next few years will be key. If Crofty can demonstrate positive economic benefits with minimal environmental impact it will do a great deal to silence the nimbys and convince the powers that be that mining has a real future in Cornwall.

IP: 86.184.197.213
Jump to page << < 1 2 3 > >>
Safety LED Miners Caplamps Moore Books: Specialist Books I.A. Recordings: Mining and Industrial History DVDs Starless River - Caving Store Explore a Disused Welsh Slate Mine
Disclaimer: Mine exploring can be quite dangerous, but then again it can be alright, it all depends on the weather. Please read the proper disclaimer.
© 2005 to 2015 AditNow.co.uk
Top of Page