Mine exploration, photographs and mining history for mine explorers, industrial archaeologists, researchers and historians Mine explorer and mining history videos on YouTube Connect with other mine explorers on Facebook
Tip: do not include 'mine' or 'quarry', search by name e.g. 'cwmorthin', use 'Sounds like search' if unsure of spelling

Advanced Search
'Sounds like search'
Quick a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'

Search for any word
Search for all words
Exact search
Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'

Search for any word
Search for all words
Exact search

Mine Exploration Forum

Jump to page << < 1 2 > >>
Author Industrial Relics on Film
RAMPAGE

Avatar of RAMPAGE

Joined: 01/03/2015
Location: Everywhere

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 10/09/2017 23:22:30
Reply |  Quote
I'm slowly building up a collection of industrial/mining photos in my personal gallery, if anybody is interested in seeing them.

All taken on Ilford black and white roll film, using an old manual press camera that puts out 6x9 frames. I scan them to about 35 megapixels but they'll go higher.

The strength of 6x9 frames is in the detail captured, they are more interesting to look at zoomed in.

They don't let me out much so the gallery will grow only slowly but here are some to be getting on with.



(click image to open full size image in new window)

--

Aditnow is #FakeNews very sad. MAGA @POTUS
IP: 87.224.72.55 Edited: 10/09/2017 23:31:48 by RAMPAGE
Peter Burgess

Joined: 01/07/2008
Location: Merstham. Or is it Godstone ...... ?

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 11:14:25
Reply |  Quote
That's fascinating - I am curious - you are very specific about the photographic process - does this mean they are your photos? Or from a specific photographer? IP: 85.115.52.202
Jim MacPherson

Joined: 02/09/2015

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 11:39:30
Reply |  Quote


(click image to open full size image in new window)

That's the blowing engine house for the range of blast furnaces at Blists Hill, I don't recall a merchant rolling mill at the museum (they would make just about anything you wanted, some were still in commercial use with BSC into the 80s') but I've only been back once since 1985, so things will have changed a lot.

Jim
IP: 146.90.109.129
Digit

Avatar of Digit

Joined: 29/07/2009
Location: North Wales

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 11:52:02
Reply |  Quote
Jim MacPherson wrote:



That's the blowing engine house for the range of blast furnaces at Blists Hill, I don't recall a merchant rolling mill at the museum (they would make just about anything you wanted, some were still in commercial use with BSC into the 80s') but I've only been back once since 1985, so things will have changed a lot.

Jim


The rolling mill is not an original Blists Hill building it was moved there from (I think) the Bolton area. It is functional and does from time to time give demos. Also it has done some commercial work since arrival, it recycled several tons of wrought iron that had been recovered from a major building fire, and rolled it into bar for a customer. The demos are rare because it costs a great deal of money to fire it all up, the commercial contract was very welcome because that covered the costs of many public demos.

--

~~~ The future is not what it used to be ~~~
IP: 92.3.9.169
Jim MacPherson

Joined: 02/09/2015

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 12:10:00
Reply |  Quote
I must admit I was also scratching the remaining brain cell about the engine house as the blast furnaces remains were a lot more derelict in the 70's and 80's although I think there was the vestige of a engine house at or near the furnaces. I'll have to dig my notes out if I still have them.

I think Monk's Hall (near Eccles or Irlam perhaps, although some might argue Skinningrove is almost a jobbing mill) was the last BSC merchant mill to shut although we did wander round a few operational private mills around Sheffield in the mid 1980's including one in one of the smaller valleys rolling section for horse shoesSmile
IP: 146.90.109.129 Edited: 11/09/2017 12:30:38 by Jim MacPherson
AR

Avatar of AR

Joined: 07/11/2007
Location: Knot far from Knotlow in the middle of the Peak District

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 12:43:23
Reply |  Quote
I believe it did come from somewhere up around Bolton and was the last operational mill in the UK that rolled wrought iron. I think that job referred to would have been for Chris Topp who supplies re-rolled wrought to the blacksmithing trade, I know he's got a small mill of his own for creating the small stock sizes but I guess getting the big stuff down to a manageable size for two men to work on a small mill needs outsourcing!

--

Oh God of Sarcasm, thanks for everything...
IP: 165.225.80.230
RAMPAGE

Avatar of RAMPAGE

Joined: 01/03/2015
Location: Everywhere

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 12:53:02
Reply |  Quote
Thanks for all the information guys, helps my understanding of the place immensely as when I visit I'm not always sure what I'm looking at!

--

Aditnow is #FakeNews very sad. MAGA @POTUS
IP: 193.62.43.101
RAMPAGE

Avatar of RAMPAGE

Joined: 01/03/2015
Location: Everywhere

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 12:55:25
Reply |  Quote
Peter Burgess wrote:

That's fascinating - I am curious - you are very specific about the photographic process - does this mean they are your photos? Or from a specific photographer?


Oh, I just included that for interests sake, probably more my interest than anybody else heheh

Yes they are my photos, taken last month.

--

Aditnow is #FakeNews very sad. MAGA @POTUS
IP: 193.62.43.101
Digit

Avatar of Digit

Joined: 29/07/2009
Location: North Wales

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 13:14:53
Reply |  Quote
Jim MacPherson wrote:

I must admit I was also scratching the remaining brain cell about the engine house as the blast furnaces remains were a lot more derelict in the 70's and 80's although I think there was the vestige of a engine house at or near the furnaces. I'll have to dig my notes out if I still have them.



Sounds like a return visit should be scheduled, you will find a lot has been added/changed/improved since your previous visit.

--

~~~ The future is not what it used to be ~~~
IP: 92.3.9.169
SimonRL

Avatar of SimonRL

Joined: 27/11/2005
Location: North Wales

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 13:16:48
Reply |  Quote
RAMPAGE wrote:

Peter Burgess wrote:

That's fascinating - I am curious - you are very specific about the photographic process - does this mean they are your photos? Or from a specific photographer?


Oh, I just included that for interests sake, probably more my interest than anybody else heheh

Yes they are my photos, taken last month.


Thumb Up

What sort of scanner do you use?

--

my orders are to sit here and watch the world go by
IP: 92.14.86.126
RAMPAGE

Avatar of RAMPAGE

Joined: 01/03/2015
Location: Everywhere

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 13:33:34
Reply |  Quote
SimonRL wrote:

RAMPAGE wrote:

Peter Burgess wrote:

That's fascinating - I am curious - you are very specific about the photographic process - does this mean they are your photos? Or from a specific photographer?


Oh, I just included that for interests sake, probably more my interest than anybody else heheh

Yes they are my photos, taken last month.


Thumb Up

What sort of scanner do you use?


Don't have one Sad

Used to have an Epson 4990 years ago but it broke.

Now I have to get the developing lab to do it, which isn't cheap but MF scanners are hard to come by and expensive Sad

The lab does an alright job and theyll do it to 35mp tiff but would be better to do my own if I can ever put my hand to a scanner

--

Aditnow is #FakeNews very sad. MAGA @POTUS
IP: 193.62.43.101
Jim MacPherson

Joined: 02/09/2015

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 13:56:09
Reply |  Quote
RAMPAGE wrote:

SimonRL wrote:

RAMPAGE wrote:

Peter Burgess wrote:

That's fascinating - I am curious - you are very specific about the photographic process - does this mean they are your photos? Or from a specific photographer?


Oh, I just included that for interests sake, probably more my interest than anybody else heheh

Yes they are my photos, taken last month.


Thumb Up

What sort of scanner do you use?


Don't have one Sad

Used to have an Epson 4990 years ago but it broke.

Now I have to get the developing lab to do it, which isn't cheap but MF scanners are hard to come by and expensive Sad

The lab does an alright job and theyll do it to 35mp tiff but would be better to do my own if I can ever put my hand to a scanner


I bought a (brand new) multi-function printer (Brother I think) for about £50 about 10 years ago which I have used to scan photos (up to A4 size) to jpegs but limited resolution and a couple of other formats as well as all the rest of the stuff - print, copy and fax. Probably one of my better squanders.

Jim
IP: 146.90.109.129 Edited: 11/09/2017 14:01:01 by Jim MacPherson
RAMPAGE

Avatar of RAMPAGE

Joined: 01/03/2015
Location: Everywhere

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 13:59:01
Reply |  Quote
Yeah they can be pretty good, I have an all in one job too. Doesn't do transparency though, not many scanners do.

--

Aditnow is #FakeNews very sad. MAGA @POTUS
IP: 193.62.43.101
AR

Avatar of AR

Joined: 07/11/2007
Location: Knot far from Knotlow in the middle of the Peak District

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 22:09:52
Reply |  Quote
Just spotted the smithy shot, I used a Massey airhammer exactly like that one at college. Lovely bit of kit, despite being 1923 vintage it still had a dead straight strike unlike the other modern (furrin!) ones they had - when you drew out a bit of bar on them it would curve off to one side, unlike the Massey where you knew it would stay straight.

--

Oh God of Sarcasm, thanks for everything...
IP: 80.247.20.202
RAMPAGE

Avatar of RAMPAGE

Joined: 01/03/2015
Location: Everywhere

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 22:17:00
Reply |  Quote
AR wrote:

Just spotted the smithy shot, I used a Massey airhammer exactly like that one at college. Lovely bit of kit, despite being 1923 vintage it still had a dead straight strike unlike the other modern (furrin!) ones they had - when you drew out a bit of bar on them it would curve off to one side, unlike the Massey where you knew it would stay straight.


Did you mean this photo?



(click image to open full size image in new window)

Yes lovely bit of kit that. I love fabrication machinery from that period, they are so massively constructed. Especially pillar drills, those awesome cast iron frames have more ferrous metal in them than a car park full of V.W's...

--

Aditnow is #FakeNews very sad. MAGA @POTUS
IP: 87.224.72.55
AR

Avatar of AR

Joined: 07/11/2007
Location: Knot far from Knotlow in the middle of the Peak District

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 22:33:17
Reply |  Quote
Yes, that one. I was eyeing up an old geared twin-head pillar drill on Ebay earlier this year (bargain at £100) but reluctantly had to admit it wouldn't fit in my garage. I settled for a part-geared MT2 with a cross-slide vice in the end, but still good old-school solid British engineering!

--

Oh God of Sarcasm, thanks for everything...
IP: 80.247.20.202
RAMPAGE

Avatar of RAMPAGE

Joined: 01/03/2015
Location: Everywhere

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 22:48:34
Reply |  Quote

I have two pillar drills in my workshop and they are both rubbish.

If you push down at all hard with the bit into the workpiece, the whole head flexes up and you get a wonky hole! But then, I can carry both drills at the same time under each arm so you can imagine how substantially they are constructed Sad

never see good ones for sale around here, those that do come up are usually motored for 3 phase which I don't have in the workshop. I'd like a rotary converter! Plenty of amps coming in on the single phase.

--

Aditnow is #FakeNews very sad. MAGA @POTUS
IP: 87.224.72.55
RAMPAGE

Avatar of RAMPAGE

Joined: 01/03/2015
Location: Everywhere

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 22:50:42
Reply |  Quote
I'm onto some rolls of film taken in the Cwm now.

First one is of Rhosydd Terrace. Managed to find out some interesting information about the place from Cofio Cwm.



(click image to open full size image in new window)

--

Aditnow is #FakeNews very sad. MAGA @POTUS
IP: 87.224.72.55
Graigfawr

Joined: 04/11/2009

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 11/09/2017 23:48:24
Reply |  Quote
Some clarification on the wrought iron works at Blists Hill: the building came from a dockyard; the puddling furnaces, reheating / balling / mill furnaces and the rolling mills that the building covers came from Atlas Forge, Bolton, which had been the last working puddling forge and wrought iron rolling mill in the world when it closed in the mid/late 1970s.

Ironbridge put up the wrought iron works in the expectation that there would be a small but steady ongoing market that would approximately cover the cost of fuel for the furnaces, enabling periodic demonstration of both puddling and rolling. However, steels began to be produced that were suitable for blacksmiths to hammer-weld, reducing the market for genuine wrought iron, and fuel costs became ever more expensive. So Blists Hill rarely can afford to fire up the puddling furnaces and limit demonstrations to re-rolling large thick pieces of wrought iron scrap into smaller cross section bars as this only requires the reheating / mill furnaces to be heated up. The main source of large cross section wrought iron scrap in recent decades has been enormous chain links from naval dockyards. These are cut into pieces, heated, and rolled down to small cross-section merchant iron.
IP: 176.27.91.235 Edited: 11/09/2017 23:49:32 by Graigfawr
grahami

Avatar of grahami

Joined: 29/01/2007
Location: Telford, Shropshire

View Profile
View Posts
View Personal Album
View Personal Files
View all Photos
Send Private Message
Industrial Relics on Film
Posted: 12/09/2017 15:48:03
Reply |  Quote
AR wrote:

I believe it did come from somewhere up around Bolton and was the last operational mill in the UK that rolled wrought iron. I think that job referred to would have been for Chris Topp who supplies re-rolled wrought to the blacksmithing trade, I know he's got a small mill of his own for creating the small stock sizes but I guess getting the big stuff down to a manageable size for two men to work on a small mill needs outsourcing!


I've got a copy of the old SERG bulletin which describes the Atlas works somewhere - I could dig itout and put it on here if anyone's interested. I used to live in Bolton many years ago. SERG transmogrified into the ISSES but the site doesn't seem to have been updated in a long time, so I'm not sure if they're still going.

Grahami

--

The map is the territory - especially in chain scale.
IP: 84.13.108.245
Jump to page << < 1 2 > >>
Safety LED Miners Caplamps Moore Books: Specialist Books I.A. Recordings: Mining and Industrial History DVDs Starless River - Caving Store Explore a Disused Welsh Slate Mine
Disclaimer: Mine exploring can be quite dangerous, but then again it can be alright, it all depends on the weather. Please read the proper disclaimer.
© 2005 to 2015 AditNow.co.uk
Top of Page