Church Pit Visit
CHURCH PIT (PART OF EARSDON COLLIERY)
Church Pit was Sunk in 1838 but closed soon after in 1846. It was re-opened once more in 1893.
In 1926 the decision was taken to upgrade the mine with the addition of Pit Baths and during 1927 Church Pit became the first pit in the area to be converted to electric winding with the chimney and boiler houses being demolished on the 16th of November.
However, during the upgrade of the colliery, work was stopped due to severe injury of 11 men in an explosion in 1928, four of whom subsequently died.
The modern mine was fairly short lived with winding ceasing in the 1930’s however the old screens were re-used to processs coal from the opencast mines in the area in the period 1948 to 1956.
When we visited we were very pleased to find that the magnificent Pit Baths with date plaque were still standing at the North end of the site, along with the reduced height winding house (possibly reduced as part of the mine upgrade) adjacent to a fabulous condition Transformer/Substation and Loco shed forming a small group of buildings on the SE corner of the site.
The buildings are well maintained and in good order thanks to their use as part of a very smart stables complex.
The real find here for myself ICLOK and LEEW was the transformer house with its decorative features and vent towers....
20 Photos in this album by ICLOK