Cwmorthin Quarry 24/06/2007
A successful trip in Cwmorthin. Finally making the descent from the previously bolted manway leading off lake level (floor 1) down into the unexplored sections of the back vein on floors C and D.
When Cwmothin was closed in 1902 the back vein slowly filled with water. This section would have remained flooded until 1937 when Lefel Ffrench was driven from Oakeley to dewater Cwmorthin and release millions of gallons of water from areas above working Oakeley chambers.
To the best of our knowledge nobody has accessed these chambers since 1902.
Thanks to Miles for the research that led to working out the link.
21 Photos in this album by SimonRL