This well-known view looks east down the L and CR at the point where one of its well constructed bridges carried the line over the Upton Cross road at Minions. Ahead is the Bellingham shaft engine house of Wheal Jenkins, where the the line curves L round Caradon Hill, with the mine dressing floor to its left and lower. This bridge survived intact until Sunday 1 April 1945, when 259 Field Company RE (a small home training Company based in Uffculme) demolished the arch with explosives. The GWR District Engineer reported that the road beneath was clear of rubble by 4.30pm on the same day.Rillaton Bridge is GWR Bridge Number 22 on the structure-numbering system for the line from Buller Quay in Looe, and had a 20' span and was 15' in height. A Stop Board erected by the GWR between 1913 and 1915, and earlier linked to the bridge was in fact several chains to the west on the line to Sharptor Depot, and marked the Limit of Run and reversal point for trains to access Rillaton Depot and Cheesewring Siding via a switch and spur.[Updated 13 December 2019]
This photograph is by Alec and was uploaded October 28th 2008. © Alec please do not copy or distribute without prior express permission.