On the tenement of Chyvarloe is a surprisingly long history of long forgotten tin mining.
A number of tin works are known to have been trialled in Gunwalloe parish. The story starts with the Tudors, when 5 Tinners were recorded in the parish by the Muster Rolls of c1535. They may have worked the moors North of St Winnianton Church at a tin bound called "Whele an Plathennowe".
Toll tin was reserved for the manor of "Wynnyton" in 1579, and at the start of the 18th century there are many more notes of tin bounds all around Gunwalloe parish.
Wheal Loe is eventually recorded in a document dated 1st April 1790, the bounds being:
"so far westward as the lands extend in the Loe Barr, so far eastward as a strait line to be drawn from a stone to be fixed up in the cliff to another stone to be fixed up at or near the place where the water or rivulet that arises at or near the village of Chyvarloe falls into or meets the Loepool, so far southward as the sea will permit, and so far northward in the Loe pool as the lands also extent"
But then again, maybe it was just April Fool's
Data courtesy of Ben Sum, Helston (1/10/20).
[CRO] = Cornwall Archives, Kresen Kernow, Redruth
[CRO] Various Documents, Arundell Collection
Buckley, J A 2009 "The Tudor Tin Industry" Penhellick