This mine - a Victorian attempt at reworking the extensive medieval tin works on Crowhill down at depth - was working under the title "Wheal Albert" in 1846. Little is known about the operations, however by 1855 this name had changed to Wheal Florence.
Sandy Gerrard records:
"... In 1846 that a Sett under the name of Wheal Albert was established by a group of working miners, followed shortly afterwards in 1855 by a streamworking Sett [PWDRO/72/962/1 & 2] surrendered the following year [PWDRO/72/982]. In 1859 the short-lived Wheal Florence Sett was registered and most of the surviving documentation [PWDRO/762/781] concerns an ingenious plan to borrow water from the Bottle Hill Leat to power a water wheel. By 1885 the open shaft at Wheal Florence had become a health and safety issue with the H.M. Inspector of Mines informing the owner that the shaft was “dangerous and insecurely fenced” and should be “secured either by filling in or hedging round with stone” [PWDRO 273/200]."
Data courtesy of Ben Sum, Helston (30/9/20).
Archaelogical Report, Crownhill Downs Tinworks - S Gerrard, 2013; www.earlytin.wordpress.com/surveys/crownhill-down/ (archived: https://archive.vn/XzeSv)
Ordnance Survey, County Series 25", 1906