It is believed these quarries did not start work until 1913 although discussions with the Burghley estate were ongoing from 1907 by Bell Bros Ltd until mining started circa 1911. The workings were not successful and leases were signed over to the Wakerley Ironstone Co in 1915, and Partington Steel & Iron Co Ltd from 1918.
The original Bell Bros workings tipped onto a siding linked to the LNWR Seaton to Peterborough Line. However the later Partington Co workings used a seperate tramway and established a newer tippling point onto the mainline siding which was built by German POWs. The owners obviously had grand plans for the quarries and started to erect 4 Ironstone Calciners of which only two were finished again by POWS circa 1918, however non ever operated commercially. The calciners were built in front of the original disused Bell Bros tippler. In 1918 the workings were extended South under the Harringworth Road to the South. A new tippler was added which can be seen in the differing brick colour.
The exact date of closure is not known but according to the Station Master at the nearby Wakerley & Barrowdon Station the mine closed in 1921.
A surface walk on 16.07.08 revealed the original loading dock to be present to the rear of the excellent calciner remains. The later tippler bank is in tact to, as is the bridge parapet under the Harringworth Road.
The whole area is full of disturbed grounds and one substantial pit from the later workings remains.
The whole area has an atmosphere of lost industry and should be high on any list industrial sites to see in the Corby area.