Another of the most important shafts in the history of Cornish Mining, Victory Shaft of Geevor Mine is worth remembering.
Prior to the 1910s; the majority of the Geevor workings were concerned with the inland workings of the Pig Lodes from Wethered Shaft - named after the then Chairman (Oliver Wethered, not Pig!). These becoming exhausted prompted the company to drive westward a great distance from Wethered Shaft, and the sinking of a new shaft to best exploit this area was proposed in 1914. We know not of the original title under which this project was proposed, but after being delayed by the outbreak of the war the obvious title became "Victory Shaft".
The postwar situation was dire, with a slump in the price of tin and Geevor actually closed for a year in 1921. Sinking of Victory Shaft was commenced proper in January 1922.
Today, Geevor Mine is a Museum, and access down Victory Shaft can be made through the St Just Mines Research Group. In 2018 the Cornwall Minerals Safeguarding Development Plan identified Victory Shaft as key infrastructure for future protection.
Data courtesy of Ben Sum, Helston (1/10/20)
Noall, C 1973 "The St Just Mining District" Bradford