The mine is located in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park west of the village of Tyndrum. There is some evidence that lead had already been worked in the vicinity of Tyndrum in the fifteenth century. The veins were discovered in 1735. The mine was then worked from 1741 until 1862. The tips were reworked between 1916 and 1925. John Campbell, the second Marquis of Breadalbane advertised the mineral rights nationwide in the early nineteenth century but failed to attract any interest. He then worked his own mineral lease primarily under the management of German engineers between 1838 and 1865.
Description by Michael Straßburger