The mines were started in 1895 as quarries by Holwell Iron Co Ltd, becoming Stanton ironworks co Ltd from Jan 1918. Finally Stewarts and Lloyds Minerals from ist Jan 1950.
Limestone was also mined in the quarries at South Witham. Stantons became aware of vast Sand Ironstone reserves below the local Limestone at Sth Witham. In 1944 an adit was driven from the limestone quarry at 1 in 25 decline. Various headings were started and after reasonable success the new owner Stewarts and Llloyds looked to develop the deposits full and a new large adit was driven in 1957.
The new mine was fitted with a 3' 6" Tramway throughout operated by 224HP EE Baguley over head pick up electric locomotives. 24 wagon of 12 Ton GLW were supplied for underground use by WG Allen of Tipton. Two underground Hudswell Clarke Diesels supplemented the electric fleet. Trains were continuously braked with Vacuum brakes. The mine was at its peak in 1962, working 3 shifts per day and producing 390,000 tons per annum.
However the mine hit geological and water seepage problems such that the mine was never fully developed. This resulted in closure in June 1964. The large adit being bricked up in 1966 and all stock disposed of by 1969.
On a site walk undertaken on the 16.07.09, the 2 road engine shed was still standing with tracks and after much painful exploration the bricked up adit was located in the now heavily wooded cutting.