This and adjacent mines were worked as a single set by the Teeside Mining Company in the 1850s and 60s, the whole set comprising about 1000 acres. However, all of the mines were also worked independently at different times.
The site is approached by a track from Garrigill and passes Calvert Mine on the left reached across a bridge, and actually passes over the adit of Tynegreens Mine.
Teeside Mine itself is around the area where the track divides and one is faced with a locked barrier.
On the left of the track can be found Providence Shaft with rising main protruding through the rubble infill, and adjacent compartment is open but flooded. Here can be seen the foundations for the steam pumping engine installed by the Teeside Mining Company.
British Mining no 56 1996 R A Fairbairn
British Mining Memoirs no 43 1991 Teeside Mining Company by Nigel Chapman
British Mining no 91 2011 Richard Smith and Sam Murphy