Talargoch mine is known to be very old but is most famed for its 18th century workings of the lead veins on the outskirts of Prestatyn. The mine was wet and used a considerable amount of steam power. The mine was fitted with a huge 100" engine on Clive's Shaft in 1862 (made by the Haigh Foundry at Wigan) in order to work deposits at greater depth. Previously the mine had used a 50" hydraulic engine to pump designed by John Darlington, another example of which could be seen in the Alport mines in Derbyshire.
The mine closed in 1883 mainly due to the heavy cost of coal required to keep 15 steam pumping and winding engines in service (£600/month). This required some 19 boilers! The 100" engine was sold to a wrexham colliery for £1000 in 1884.
The excellent and solidly built 100" Engine House is a local landmark and stands near the road above Prestatyn. It is still roofed with a lvery nice finial on the roof point. It is probably one of Britains finest remaining un-messed with examples and well worth seeing.
Description by ICLOK