A Small Lead Silver working on Bere Alston Peninsula though it was worked earlier the first mention of this mine is around 1835 when there was a break in by the river. It was reopened in 1869 and continued until 1876 with a production of 130 tons 56% lead ore and 390oz of silver in the period 1873-6.
engine house now converted to farm house and the count house to a cottage both are viewable together with the mines stack via a public footpath that runs very close by.
Almost nothing is known of North Ward Mine, even its location: 500ft west of North Ward farm was unmarked until subsidence occurred on the shaft in 1957.
“South Ward was sunk to a depth of 90ftm on Engine shaft the most extensive level was the 40ftm which ran 115ftm north and 180ftm south. The lode is cut by a fault to the north of the shaft and another to the south, the latter heaving the lode about 5ftms to the right in the lower levels.
A further lode was opened up 25ftms to the east and driven on 2 levels but no production records specific to this work are noted”
Dines H.G. 1956
Description by ICLOK/ferret