Slough Colliery takes its name from the area of Brownhills known as “The Slough” in which it’s situated. This is just west of the Wyrley and Essington canal and was served by two basins which can still be found.
It’s recorded as being worked by the Slough Colliery Company Ltd and later by William Harrison Ltd up until 1914 when it was subjected to an inrush of water.
There are two main shafts, upcast and downcast, plus another two older ones to the north, both been capped and fitted with a vent pipe. Harrison's also sunk a third shaft of their own venture, the Wood Pit, location unknown.
There were also lime kilns in the area, possibly another Harrison venture.
The upcast no 1 shaft can be discovered as a deep hollow and has a small brick arched tunnel entering near the top, it breaks through to day after a few feet and may have possibly carried services. Apart from extensive spoil heaps there are no other remains.
There are other spoil heaps in the same area and as commented elsewhere, this area is covered with workings some stretching back hundreds of years with many unrecorded and undocumented.