Old workings around Almond Brook had left sizeable blocks of coal in 3 seams, cut off by cross faults.
The NCB commissioned a boring programme from E. Timmins & Sons Ltd in the late 1940s. The results were positive and the NCB sank two drifts on a virgin site, naming the new pit after an old Wigan Coal & Iron pit nearby.
Robin Hill came into production in 1952 and was very successful. Output and the labour force grew rapidly from 100,000 tons and 174 men in 1954 to around 200,000 tons and 436 men in 1958. By the time Robin Hill closed on 29th November 1963, an overall profit of £1.1 million had been amassed.
An old mineral railway from Prospect Pit, abandoned c1932, was relaid in 1952 to take Robin Hill's output to the new Gidlow Washery about 2.25 miles away. Much of the washed coal then went by rail to the NCB canal 'dock' at Crooke Village.
After the pit closed, the pithead baths were turned into a motel.