The idea for constructing the Redruth & Chasewater Railway was put forward by John Taylor in 1824 as a direct result of redevelopment plans for the Consolidated Mines. Taylor's insight and drive took a failing concern and within 20 years transformed it into a famous mine at the centre of the then richest couple of square miles in the world. Prior to the 1820's pack horses had been used to move materials. Mines were exporting copper ore for smelting and importing engine coal, wood for pitwork and other materials. Taylor realised that a more efficient and effective transportation route was needed.
The official opening of the railway took place on 26th January 1826. John Taylor was the railway's first manager. It's nine miles stretched from Devoran's new quays at Restronguet Creek on the River Fal to the developing inland mines around Redruth, Carharrack and Chacewater.
Until 1854 the line remained horse drawn and the Great Coal Yard to the east of Carharrack was a hive of activity with numerous horses and trucks. The steam era began with the purchase of two locomotives, "Smelter" and "Miner". A third engine, "Spitfire" arrived soon after in 1856. All three engines continued to work the line until its closure. The first two were Neilson 0-4-2St and the last Neilsen 0-6-0St.
It must be said that by 1877 the zenith was over and the line's decline had set in. The railway became dependent upon the Basset Mines at Carnkie for its existence. "Miner" was the engine engaged on the last train down to Devoran on 15th September 1915.
The GR. is the workshop at Devoran.
The line's title included the word "Chasewater" even though the village is spelt "Chacewater".
Bibliography: The Redruth and Chasewater Railway 1824-1915, D.B.Barton (1960)