Evidence exists referring to workings from the early 18th century. Mineral returns for the 19th century indicate the mine was highly productive in lead,silver and barytes and had a substantial number of employees (Burt et al 1992). The workings trend along an east to west vein. There is a deep square stone-lined engine shaft to the south of the well preserved engine house at SJ08777534. A further two shafts are to the west of the Engine Shaft, across the lane at SJ08817534 and SJ08837533. A collapsed shaft appears as a circular depression at SJ08677537. The New Engine Shaft at SJ08627540 is unfenced and appearing from amid rubble is an iron A-frame, which would have been part of the pumping mechanism. A collapsed shaft lies at SJ08587537 and other smaller shafts or trials located on the site at SJ08547536, SJ08537536, SJ08507537, SJ08457541, SJ08457537. The mine closed in 1891 and was re-opened in 1913 for barium minerals, but was abandoned in 1920.