Sunk by Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Co in 1905. There were 2 shafts of 21ft diameter. The large engine house contained two winding engines, compressors and generators. The fan casing was also on the end of this hall. The layout was considered exceptional and was only altered by the NCB in the 60s, fortunately the Art Nouveau tiling in there remained in tact .
2 headframes survive built in 1906. Also a large combined workshop, lamp room, offices, stores and loco shed also remains.
In 1938 saw modern brick built miners baths erected in complete contrast to the decorative sandstone buildings.