Sunk by Mercer, Thompson & Evans in 1853 but may not have started producing until 1858. By 1859, colliery railways had been built to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal and the N.U.R. main line south of Wigan.
In 1873, the pits were taken over by the Garswood Coal & Iron Co Ltd and greatly developed. In 1881, they employed over 2000 men and owned over 1500 coal wagons.
All 5 Park Lane pits were closed on 30th June 1929, but two were soon reopened as Landgate colliery by the Landgate Colliery Co Ltd. They survived to be nationalised, employing 276 in 1954, some of the men being based at a linked drift mine. Landgate closed in late '61 or early '62.