Pandora's beginning in 1875 was centered around the Pandora mine. Originally called Newport, Pandora was home to the Smuggler-Union mill which milled ore from the Smuggler and Tomboy mines. Aerial trams ran down the mountain from each mine bringing men and supplies up and ore down daily. Avalanches were a problem here and one time one stopped just feet from destroying the town. Today, the area is a major mining reclamation project and the mill buildings remain.