Also known as: North Tamar (In conjunction with South Hooe it was known at different times as Tamar Silver Lead and Tamar Consols, the sett is thought to have included Hancock Mine on the Cornish bank of the Tamar where a shaft was sunk with 2 levels, it apparently failed to cut the lode.
This small Lead-Silver mine worked from the western most of the two Bere peninsular lodes was first recorded in operation in 1835, reopened in 1842 with a peak production of 1200 tons in 1846. Abandoned by 1867 with no specific record of output other than approximately 20 tons of concentrate per month and Again reopened in the early 1901-2 and partly unwatered but never went back into production due too insufficient capital to lower the water level sufficiently to make the venture successful, production ceased in 1906.
worked mainly from Engine Shaft to a depth of 110 Fathoms with levels at 10-fm intervals below the 30-fm level on a vertical lode at the shaft but underlies to the east in the northern levels and ranges from 18inches to 4 feet in width, Output is sketchy but 1200T of Lead are recorded in one source.
The engine here was a 50" pumping engine and the house for this still remains along with its boiler house and miners dry.
access is possible from the owner. PM. ferret for access.
Description by ICLOK/ferret