The Nebo Colliery operated between 1946 and 1993.
This site is significant as it was the first mine to be opened as a fully mechanised mine in 1947. It was a green field mine development and its surface facilities and mining plant were of a very modern design to facilitate a fully mechanised mining operation. The site is significant for its association with Mt Kembla village and the surrounding area and for its relationship between mines, mining companies and their workers and the joint ownership of the mine and associated steel works. It is also significant for its association with the new Dendrobium Mine for which its facilities were chosen to be refurbished to support the operations of the new mine. Acknowledgement: Wollongong City Council