Worked by Laporte Minerals on the Hucklow Edge Vein for fluorspar barytes lead and zinc.
Milldam Mine was designed to exploit the Hucklow Edge vein system - a major east-west trending deposit. Although fluorspar was first sought in the early 20th century, it was the demand for higher quality material, which lead to the re-opening of the old Glebe Lead Mine in the village of Eyam. From 1936 until 1979 the mine workings steadily extended north to join with the old Ladywash Mine and then 2 km west along the vein system, until the problem of the restricted access via a 222 metre deep shaft caused cessation due to economics.
Planning consent was granted in 1987 for a new access at the site of the old Milldam Mine on the edge of Great Hucklow village. An adit, declining at 1 in 8 allowed the use of modern wheeled machinery to improve the economic viability of mining.
Production began in 1991, at the point where work within the Ladywash Mine had ceased in 1979. This continued until the closure of Laporte Minerals in 1999.
Due to the high costs of continuing the working in the same manner as Laporte Minerals, Milldam Mine has remained on care and maintenance since 1999.
Mr Mike. Information taken from the mine operators website.