There were early pits on this site from the 1840s. A larger colliery was sunk on the site in the 1860s by Cross, Tetley & Co. The pit was adjacent to and served by the LNWR London-Glasgow main line.
Cross, Tetley went into liquidation in 1931 and the pit was worked by the receiver until purchased by the Wigan Coal Corporation in 1934.
Mains was nationalised in 1947 and employed 530 men in 1954, working the Ince Four Feet, Ince Six Feet & Park Yard seams. A small amount of iron pyrites was also worked.
The colliery closed on 9th September 1960 and was demolished in 1961-62.