Mining probably started here in Roman times, but recorded history starts when Thomas Bonsal drove a level. This mine was worked along with Cae Conroy or Tyisaf for most of its life passing through the ownership of Job Sheldon and then in 1829 the Conroy Estate.
Both mines were very profitable and were carried on until 1870 when the Conroy Estate sold both mines for over £50,000, but by this time the Tyisaf orebody failed after yielding 1774 tons of lead ore.
Later in the year the mines were resold to the Conroy Lead Mines Company for £88,000 with the usual glowing reports appearing in the mining journal. However, this venture came to nothing and the mines closed in 1873 after returning 5300 tons of ore.
There was a final working from 1875 to 1881 when the mine was worked below deep adit. Pumping was from a huge 50ft waterwheel situated next to the Tyisaf farm, with power conducted by a wire rope running all the way up the valley to enter the mine by middle adit. The pit for the waterwheel can still be seen from the council road and dolly stands and pulleys can still be found in the middle adit. There is also a larger wheel, probably an old shear wheel taken from a shaft somewhere, used to carry the wire rope round a bend in the adit, which has wooden rails in situ.
All a sight to delight the eye of the modern explorer.
(Source: David Bick "Metal Mines of Mid Wales")