The Liskeard and Caradon Railway was a standard gauge mineral line, built to serve the copper mines of the Minions district, and the granite quarries further north. Initially horse drawn, locomotives were introduced later. The line took stone and ore to the head of the Looe Canal, later replaced by the Liskeard and Looe Railway. The LCR opened in 1846 and was closed and the rails lifted in 1917. Relics are plentiful, especially around Kit Hill and on the moors to the north. The Kilmar Railway was effectively a northerly extension of the line to serve the granite quarries at Kilmar Tor.
Bibliography: The Railways, Canal and Mines of Looe and Liskeard, L.Popplewell (1977)