There were two main mining periods, from 1881 to 1899 and
from 1937 to 1962. Prior to 1881 mining was intermittent and largely confined to alluvial mining along the Molonglo River. There was no town or village at the Flat, only miner’s camps, and these would have been located along the Molonglo from the falls to Foxlow station. After 1899 the town lingered on until the mine
reopened in 1937. The mine closed again in early 1962...