The Kilmar Railway was a northern extension of the Liskeard and Caradon Railway, built to serve granite workings at Kilmar Tor and Bearah Tor. The course of the line is easily followed today.
It was built by The Cheeswring Granite Co Ltd in 1858 and ran from a junction with the Cheeswring branch of the Liskeard and Caradon Railway at Minions to Kilmar Tor; and in 1868 to Bearah Tor Quarry.
The railway was extended slightly in 1879 and at the same time a branch was built to West Kilmar, both by the Liskeard and Caradon Railway at the request of Freemans.
The Kilmar Railway from Sharptor Depot northwards was thougt to be out of use by 1881 and was lifted in 1898.