Dating from 1873 & part of the Great Fenton Collieries (see also Stafford) there were 3 shafts- Bourne, Pender & Kemball. An additional shaft was sunk in the 1920's at Hem Heath which was later developed in to Hem Heath Colliery.
Kemball became a training pit in the 1940's and when underground operations ceased in 1963 it became a suface training centre for the area. Training ceased here in 1989 being replaced with new facilities at Trentham.
The site was cleared as part of the new A50 road development, and the colliery site is now a hotel.