Holwell Iron is near to Asfordby Hill just outside Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. Originally operated by the Holwell Iron Company, it was constructed in 1878 with the first iron being tapped in 1881.
The site later expanded to include a foundry.
It amalgamated with the Stanton Iron Works Company in 1918 but continued to operate seperately. Holwell was subsequently taken over by the large producer of Iron & steel Stewart and Lloyds in 1947. The introduction of the Continuous Casting Process increased production significantly, however in the 1950s and 1960s there was a steady decline in the use of the blast furnaces at the site and a decline across the industry in general due to increasing international competition from import cheap pig iron. Holwell's internal Ironstone quarry closed in 1962.
during the 1960s the installation of Kunkel-Wagner machinery made Holwell one of the most advanced foundries in Europe.
Holwell is now part of Saint-Gobain Pipelines plc along with Stanton in Derbyshire specialising in the making of cast highway products.