Holebottom Colliery was situated on Moss Street (now named Fairbottom Street) in Oldham. In 1854 the colliery was operated by Lees, Jones and Co, and this continued until 1878. In 1856 the pit was part of a valuation of the assets of Lees, Jones and Company. the equipment was listed as:
One pair headstocks, pulleys, capstan and cages
One 24 horse, condensing engine with pumping gear complete
One 20 horse, H.P. winding engine, with winding gear complete
One hemp and one wire rope
Two boilers fitted up complete
One boiler house and chimney
One wire capstan rope
Smith shop and store rooms
1305 pairs of rails with iron sleepers
69 3-basket wagons
2 houses at Holebottom
In August 1876 the rotary beam engine at Holebottom was giving 17 strokes/minute and the pumps working 6 strokes/minute. The shaft was 177 yards deep to the Lower Bent seam, passing through five other seams on the way
Operation passed to Jones and Company in 1878 but legal disputes and geological problems led to closure around 1880.
In 1841 this colliery and the nearby Greenacres Colliery employed between them : 66 men aged 21 and over, 21 young persons (male) aged between 13 & 18, and 5 boys aged under 13 years.