Harlaxton quarries were the 3rd to last quarries started in the Uk and commenced operation in 1941 under the ownership of Stanton Ironworks Co Ltd, Stewarts and Lloyds Minerals from Jan 1950, becoming BSC Tubes Division Minerals from 29th March 1970.
The key problem with the quarries was transport and a huge network of railway lines developed to the numerous pits and quarries developed between 1941 and closure in 1976. The internal line connected to BR at Casthorpe exchange sidings on the LNER/BR(E) Denton Branch.
The quarry workings were spread over a 4 sq.mile area East and South East of Denton village and South of Harlaxton itself.
The GR given is the site of the Central hub of the rail network.
A site walk on 22.07.09 revealed large sections of the rail routes were still extant but as with most iron quarries very little other than lowered fields could be seen. The floor remains of the engine sheds and buildings at the main rail hub could still be seen.