AditNow... the site for mine explorers and mining historians Mine explorer and mining history videos on YouTube Connect with other mine explorers on Facebook
AditNow Mine Exploration
Tip: do not include 'mine' or 'quarry', search by name e.g. 'cwmorthin', use 'Sounds like search' if unsure of spelling

Advanced Search
'Sounds like search'
Quick a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'



Home > Mines, Quarries & Sites > Halkyn United Mixed Mine

Halkyn United (Hendre) Mixed Mine (United Kingdom)


Halkyn (District) United Mines, Rhydymwyn, Halkyn, Flintshire.
One of a number of lead/zinc mines unwatered by the 10 mile long Milwr tunnel that running from Bagillt on the Dee estuary to Cadole near Mold.
The mine also raised considerable quantities of limestone.

Access to the mine was via an old shaft (Olwyn Goch - OS SJ201677) that was 12 x 12 ft 6 ins and descends 490 ft to the drainage tunnel where it interescts the workings. The bottom of the shaft reached 27 ft below tunnel level.

In 1939, Pilkingtons began excavating large quantities of the high-grade limestone from the mine for use in glass making, chiefly from the area to the west of Olwyn Goch shaft. Prior to this, Olwyn Goch shaft was chiefly used for raising men and materials, with Pen-y-Bryn Shaft being used for winding ore and materials.

The final shift took place on 10 December 1986. Although many of the surface buildings remain at Olwyn Goch including the lamp room, offices together with a few milling sheds, the headframe and 1930s winding gear was moved to the Dolaucothi gold mine centre in mid-Wales.

Further Info on Workings AKA Hendra section

Hendre Mines worked to the south-west of Nant-figallt woods on the east to west Coed-Hendre Vein. The Hendre Ucha Mining Company were operating in the Rhydymwn area from 1861-1866 also (Burt, 46). Spoil mounds indicate a shaft at SJ20706770 on wasteground to the south of housing, being one of the early eastern shafts on the vein. The principal shafts on the Coed Hendre Vein are recorded from east to west as Fron, Victoria, Mostyn Old shaft, Engine shaft, Olwyn Goch and Taylor's. A single shaft remains to the east of the sett at SJ21406740 on the northern perimeter of the Rhosesmor Quarry, which may be the easternmost shaft of the Hendre sett. The main mine working area in the late 19th century now lies within the quarry area to the north of the A541 and disused Mold to Denbigh Railway line. This late 19th century sett comprised 3 large engine houses, boiler houses and chimneys. A track following the eastern perimeter of the quarry passes the remains of the engine house and chimney at SJ19826780 and the engine house at SJ19806780. The site of the third engine house, shaft and chimney lies in the quarry area at SJ19706778. To the south of the main road a second area of workings remain as earthworks at SJ19406760, where possibly three shafts were located. The sett was incorporated into the workings of the Halkyn District United Mines in 1928. The company re-opened and deepened the Olwyn Goch Shaft at SJ20206780 to 490ft to serve as their main entry for personnel. The shaft acted as a down-cast shaft on their ventilation system and was used for raising men and waste only. The chimney and red brick buildings associated with the later workings of this mine remain to the north of the A541. Taylor's Shaft at SJ20406780 was used for pumping during World War 1 by the Ministry (Williams 1987). No lead was mined after 1977, but men were employed in maintenance and tunnel repairs until 1987.

Transport
The underground workings of the Halkyn District United Mines were connected by a diesel railway that ran along the drainage tunnel between the main shafts of Pen-y-bryn (18015) and the Olwyn Goch shaft on the Hendre vein. The cars transported both men and ore. Evidence of the underground railway survives.

Power
The Grade II Listed Engine House for the 100" pumping engine remains in the quarry at SJ19806780, with its adjacent brick chimney. The red brick-built engine house built in 1917 to house electric motors to power the pumps in Taylor's Shaft remains in the quarry at SJ20406780. The 1st edition OS map depicts three engine houses at work in the main mine area during the 1870s period at SJ19806780, SJ19706780 and SJ19906780.

Processing
The Halkyn District United Mines Company continued to transport the ore by the underground diesel railway to the Penybryn Shaft (18015) for treatment.

Other features
No evidence.

Comments
The offices, changing rooms, bath houses and lamp rooms survive at the surface of the Olwyn Goch Shaft.

Photos of Halkyn United Mixed Mine

Photographs Of Halkyn United
Photographs Of Halkyn United (9 photos)
Last updated April 6th 2015 by Dickie Bird
Historic Photographs Of Halkyn United
Historic Photographs Of Halkyn United (0 photos)
Last updated February 3rd 2008 by no longer a registered user

Google Earth Map of Halkyn United Mixed Mine

To view the location details and the Google Map please sign in or register an account.


Documents for Halkyn United Mixed Mine

Sorry, there are no documents currently available. If you have any documents you can share please click the 'Upload a Document' tab.

Major Mining Region

Halkyn United Mixed Mine belongs to the Metal mines of North Wales region.

See also:

Halkyn United Mixed Mine was served by:

Milwr Tunnel

See more:

All mixed mines in United Kingdom (SJ)
All mixed mines in United Kingdom
Starless River - Caving Store Moore Books: Specialist BooksI.A. Recordings: Mining and Industrial History DVDs
Disclaimer: Mine exploring can be quite dangerous, but then again it can be alright, it all depends on the weather. Please read the proper disclaimer.
© 2005 to 2022 AditNow.co.uk
Back to Top