Grumblethorpe pit was sunk in 1830 and was typical of the small collieries that sprang up in the area around the Cromford Canal. It is situated behind the Newlands Inn in Golden Valley along the footpath into the Country park, just beyond the portal of the Cromford Canal tunnel. Grumblethorpe pit closed in 1860. Excavations revealed some stonework believed to be the base of a small pumping engine. The remains are scant and hard to find if not overgrown.