The Glendalough Mines were commenced in 1854 by the Mining Company of Ireland. Dressing floors were built at the head of the Glendalough valley and the veins worked from three adit levels on the steep northern side of the valley. In 1858 the levels were driven through the hillside to join with workings in the Glendasan valley. An inclined tramway wsa bulit in 1869 to link to other veins at the head of the valley (Van Dieman's Land). Underground mining ceased in 1884 and the lease wsa sold to the Wynne family in 1891 who continued to rework the tips until 1890. The main ore extracted was lead by there is also some zinc ore.
Underground access is very limited at Glendalough due to collapse of the soft hyrdrothermally altered granite adjacent to the mineral veins. There are quite extensive surface remains; including remains of the crusher house, stamp beds, cobbled dressing floors, wooden launders and a cornish rolls.