Parish: TOWEDNACK & LELANT
Description below by ICLOK,
This mine was in operation at various times from 1838 to 1922. The mine includes an old property known as Billia. The mine is recorded as producing 145T of Tin.
There is a nice engine house on the sett (beside the B3311) which once housed a 50" engine pumping Frank's shaft. The shaft was probably begun around 1861 as a whim shaft, the engine house here being built 10 years later when the shaft was for pumping. The 50 inch engine here came from Wheal Danielle near Chacewater in 1873. The shaft reached 1464 feet from the surface and was known to be crooked and expensive on maintenance.
There is also the remains of the base of the 22" beam whim and also of the later electric winder and compressors.
The mine was worked in various stages and the engine house re-used.
The engine house was built around 1871/2 to contain a 50"inch x 9ft stroke engine finally erected there in 1873 (ex Wheal Daniell near Chacewater)
1885 the 50" engine amongst others was advertised for sale as part of selling of equipment from the "Old South Providence and Reeth Consols". the engine was still for sale in 1889.
The mine was re-opened by St. Ives Consolidated mines in 1908 and a tempory pumping engine (very Heath Robinson) was fitted comprising of a wooden beam rocking over the bob wall connected to the old Pit Work!!!! On the engine house side the beam was connected to gearing and a 100HP electric motor by a connecting rod to provide power.
However this was soon replaced by modern submersible pumps and by 1910 the engine house was in use as an ore bin.
The mine closed with the tin slump in the early 1920's ceasing work in 1923.
Equipt in this period was-
A double geared 110hp twin drum winder.
Electric belt driven 2 cylinder compressor generating 550Cu ft per min.
Switchgear and Gen sets were British Westinghouse built being ex of Tywharnhayle. All 3 were vertical 3 cylinder gas engines coupled to 90kW motors. A secondary winding provided dc power to light the buildings.
Distribution around the mine was 650V overhead lines.
there was eventually a 6kV line connecting the consols power house to Trenwith.
Other engines were on once on site inc a 22"inch whim (masonary stump remains) and a 36"inch stamps engine of which no trace seems to exist, these were sold at the same time as the 50" I believe.
Sadly this wonderful engine house was conserved badly, the pointing being particularly bad!