Also known as: Whitstone Mine, Whitsom Mine, East Tamar Consols
The boundaries of this old Lead Silver working on Bere Alston Peninsula are rather blared and most lily sifted over time and it is now difficult to tell where the sett of this mine ends and that of south Tamar to the south and lockridge to the north fall The woodland at SX436,659 is a part of this set but is on private land and contains very few visible remains, along the footpath from cotts however are many filled shafts an cistern pits together with a stack in the nearby field, some of this may however belong to the south Tamar sett.
“The most northerly shaft was Gourd’s, which reached 46ftm below adit, but the exact location of this and the other 5 shafts: Smith’s, Engine, Caroline’s, Chalotte’s and Church Lane, is unknown. “
Dines H.G. 1956
note: this mine is not to be confused with the ancient tin mine of the same name located near Horrabridge on the edge of Dartmoor
Description by ferret