AditNow... the site for mine explorers and mining historians Mine explorer and mining history videos on YouTube Connect with other mine explorers on Facebook
AditNow Mine Exploration
Tip: do not include 'mine' or 'quarry', search by name e.g. 'cwmorthin', use 'Sounds like search' if unsure of spelling

Advanced Search
'Sounds like search'
Quick a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'



Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'



Home > Mines, Quarries & Sites > Fawdon Colliery Coal Colliery

Fawdon Colliery (Pits A, B, And F.) Coal Colliery (United Kingdom)


Taken from the Durham Mining Museum website http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/f016.htm#top />
The township and village of Fawdon is situated about 3½ miles north-by-west from Newcastle, and in the parish of Gosforth. High Fawdon, Fawdon Square, and Low Fawdon, ate pit villages, which owe their existence to the colliery. The A Pit was commenced in March 1810 ; and the High Main coal was reached in May, 1811, at a depth of 48 fathoms. The engine power at this pit is 15 horses ; but it is not now in operation. The B Pit was sunk in the years 1813 and 1814, and is about the same depth as the A Pit. During the sinking a fossil tree was discovered. No coals have been drawn at this pit for many years ; but it is used as a furnace pit for the purpose of ventilation. The E Pit was sunk in the years 1822, 1823, and 1824. Its depth is 51 fathoms, and it is the only pit at the colliery from which coals are now drawn. The engine is of 30 horses power. Another haft, called the F pit, was sunk in the years 1836 and 1837, for the purpose of draining the water, which is got to the dip of the colliery by working pillars. The engine power used for this purpose is 100 horses. The High Main is the only seam which has been worked at this colliery. On September 5, 1827, an explosion of gas took place, by which three young men were much burnt, two of whom died shortly afterwards. The waggons are drawn from the screens by an inclined plane to Kenton-bank-top, or Blakelaw, by means of a fixed engine. The coals are called in the London Markets "Newmarch;s Wallsend," being wrought by the firm of Newmarch, Sons, and Co.

Views of the Collieries (1844)

The mine locations are approximate.
A Pit location NZ227689 is now Fawden Park, a large mound is over the site of the shaft, old maps show the mine already to be listed as Old Pit by 1859.
B pit location NZ223691 situated in a housing estate on Fawdon Park road.
There appears to be some shafts missing C,and D. there was also F pit.
E pit ? location NZ220700 just north of the Greenside estate. This mine has a nearby hydraulic ram? which shows up on old mines, not sure if this was connected to the E pit however its still in situ.

Photos of Fawdon Colliery Coal Colliery

Historic Photographs Of Fawdon Colliery
Historic Photographs Of Fawdon Colliery (15 photos)
Last updated March 14th by Mr Pete
Photographs Of Fawdon Colliery
Photographs Of Fawdon Colliery (0 photos)
Last updated March 3rd by lyons

Google Earth Map of Fawdon Colliery Coal Colliery

To view the location details and the Google Map please sign in or register an account.


Documents for Fawdon Colliery Coal Colliery

Sorry, there are no documents currently available. If you have any documents you can share please click the 'Upload a Document' tab.

Wisdom Miners Lamp Sale Starless River - Caving Store Moore Books: Specialist BooksI.A. Recordings: Mining and Industrial History DVDs
Disclaimer: Mine exploring can be quite dangerous, but then again it can be alright, it all depends on the weather. Please read the proper disclaimer.
© 2005 to 2019 AditNow.co.uk
Back to Top